1300 S. 10th St. Phoenix, AZ 85009
1625 N. 39th Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85034
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Health Center Operations Manager or designee, this position works to ensure the efficient and effective communication to the bilingual (English/Spanish) patients of Wesley Community Health Clinic. This position is physically demanding with a lot of walking and standing time and emotionally challenging, as some interactions may be highly stressful requiring maturity, composure & sound judgment. This position may also including general office administration to help daily clinic operations.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Medical interpreter for patients and staff.
- Complies with all Wesley policies and procedures, particularly relating to patient confidentiality and informed consents.
- Assists Wesley Community Health Center(s) with on-the-job training and mentoring of interpreter internships
- Explains role of the interpreter to patient and provider.
- Sets tone of the patient/provider encounter to manage spatial configuration and flow of communication to preserve accuracy and completeness, and to assess and address potential areas of discomfort for patient (age, gender of interpreter, no previous experience with interpreters).
- Maintains professional distance and integrity.
- Diffuses conflict between parties by remaining calm and impartial.
- Clarifies instructions, as necessary with providers & patients.
- Understands language as an expression of culture, recognizes the underlying assumptions of each party about medicine, the encounter, the illness etc.; uses this understanding to empower patient and provider to better understand each other.
- Avoids generalizations and stereotyping.
- Uses culturally appropriate behavior and is able to choose appropriate time to clarify or interject by respecting the goals of the encounter.
- Is aware of own personal values, beliefs and cultural characteristics which may be a source of conflict or discomfort in certain situations, and is able to acknowledge these and/or to withdraw from encounters when these may interfere with successful interpretation.
- Understands Title X family planning services and sliding fee discount schedule requirements.
- Understands variety of regional accents and linguistic styles and registers.
- Selects appropriate mode of interpretation for each situation.
- Interprets with highest degree of accuracy and completeness in consecutive, simultaneous and sight translation modes.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) is required. Full competency (reading, writing, speaking).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, HIPAA regulations (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability).
- Basic knowledge of computer systems.
- Support for front/back office operations; answering phones, calling patients to confirm appointments
- Professional customer service and a positive attitude.
- Familiarity and ability to work with diversity of cultural/socio-economic backgrounds.
- General knowledge of cultural backgrounds of patients to be served.
- Good interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Write routine reports and correspondence. Speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Compute rate, ratio and percent, and draw and interpret bar graphs.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
MS Office, ECW
Certificates and Licenses:
Medical Interpretation Certification or Experience (2 years or more).
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
WCHC’s Expectations of all Employees
- Adheres to all WCHC Policies and Procedures
- Conducts self in a manner that represents WCHC’s Values at all times
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all work-related internal and external contacts
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about Departmental and WCHC concerns
- Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform the duties of the position
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload necessitates
- Actively participates in all required trainings
- Empowered to provide outstanding service to all customers
Ready to apply? Fill out the form below and upload your resume. We'll be in touch soon.